Saturday, November 17, 2012

Talk Write-Up: Live Theater

As I mentioned in class, here's a write-up of my talk.


The Flynn MainStage

In the past few weeks, how many of you watched a video on You Tube? How about watched a TV show? Went to a movie?

When you think about it, there are so many different ways that technology has enhanced entertainment. We now have Hi-Definition and 3-D and Blu-Ray. And for the last three decades, we have had several versions of surround sound.

The ideas behind these technologies are to make the audience feel like they are experiencing the action as it occurs on the screen. The entertainment industry is striving for the audience to have a real life experience. So I ask, isn’t technology wonderful?

I say yes, but, it can’t and should never replace the real life experience.

Movies, television, yes... All of these are incredibly entertaining but I want to argue that the truest form of entertainment is LIVE entertainment.

When I was in third grade, I had the opportunity to see Beauty and the Beast on Broadway with my class. Being such a huge fan of the animated film, I was skeptical about it being anywhere close to as good as the Disney version. However, I was proven wrong. When I left the theater, my nine-year-old self was blown away and my life was changed. When we were asked to write about what we liked about the show the next day, I remember writing: “It was real!” I connected with the characters more than I ever imagined. It also made me wonder if magic could actually exist—what could possibly cause the feeling I had?


Now that I’m older and have seen more musicals, and plays I can say that very experience is different except for a feeling you can’t put into words.

When I asked others, they said the feeling is a rush, but still can’t exactly describe what it is.

But, here is something I can describe: Why is theater so special? Well, it’s real…

It is life. It is always unpredictable! You can see a movie 5 times and the performances are the same.  On the other hand, when you see a play 5 times, you always see 5 completely different shows guaranteed. What is incredible about theater is that you are actually in the performer’s world or space.  You often feel what they are feeling. You are in their reality.

It’s synergy! A theatre friend of mine shared with me that for her, watching a live performance was like the exchanging of energies between performers and their audience.  The energy from the audience can shape the way the performers perform.

I've noticed when I watch a live show that was recorded; the lack of energy takes away from the experience. This past summer I saw the National Theater’s Frankenstein at the Palace 9. While I was amazed by the show as a whole (it was incredible), I did not feel connected to it. Instead, I left with a yearning to see it live.

The same goes for The Phantom of the Opera. I've watched the 25th anniversary performance countless times, but I am still not satisfied. Why? Because I now need to capture an indescribable feeling that can’t be found anywhere else except by physically being in the theater.

Another reason theater is so special to me is the love. The love the actors and technical crew have for their craft. They are doing this because they love it and they are doing it for you.

I want for all of you to share in this experience. I want your friends to feel it as well.

And there are so many opportunities to see live theatre locally. There is The Flynn, St. Mike’s, local High School productions and our very own Royall Tyler Theatre. The American Shakespeare Center has also been performing just about every year at UVM for free--which is amazing.

Again, I want to ask: what is the feeling that I have been talking about? To me, the feeling simply “is” magical.

I want you to discover your feeling. I invite all of you to share your feelings in the comments of this post the next time you see a live show.

Live theater can change your life… whether it is an appreciation for the art, a larger revelation or even causing you to change your major.

I can say that it has changed mine. But I want it to change yours.

SO, GO!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with everything you said! I wish I had the opportunity to see live theatre more often. Great presentation!

    ReplyDelete