Monday, November 5, 2012

Thinking about Math


Below I have provided the link to an article written by Alexander Nazaryan on The New Yoker's website that I recommend for anyone who regularly thinks about writing. The article is about math's relationship to prose and the state of postmodern literature in general. As someone who was too lazy to battle the frustrations of math further than calculus,  I have recently felt an urge to retry and solve my deficiency with numbers, in an odd way, through writing. I mean to say that the challenges of writing that frustrate me feel naturally similar to those encountered in math problems. For instance, when I start attacking a math problem it is generally a fun, creative first few steps that feel promising; then I realize, in my excitement or lack of precision, that I have done something but not the thing I intended to do, which was render the problem solved or complete. The exact same thing happens in writing. But as Nazaryan comments in the article and as I've noticed, today's writing standards seem to wrongly encourage this kind of clumsy progress through writing towards accidental ends. I could say more, but the Nazaryan's article says it better. Read it:

To Read the Article Click Here: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2012/11/writers-should-learn-math.html

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the article! I definitely think that people often label themselves as "not a math person," and lose out on a completely different way to think and see the world.

    ReplyDelete