Monday, October 8, 2012

Awesome Illustrated Quotes From Famous Authors

Here is the link to the blog:

I stumbled onto this web page and thought it was relevant to our current mash up project. Definitely, these illustrations enhance the words they portray, and the drawings feel literary because of the words.        
     These remind you of why illustrations are always so relieving in books. When you read, especially if you happen to be tired or bored because you are doing it because it's assigned, words can blend into long passages and the best sentences may be skipped over. I've been thinking about illustrators lately because I am reading, mandatorily, a long Russian book that I rented from the library that includes the occasional drawing, and every time I reach a drawing it always seems to reassure me that I will somehow finish this book. I'm not sure why, but I have an active theory and it's not very sophisticated. I think illustrations can be used like broad italics. They emphasize an important moment in the text and give you some direction in thinking about the events that happen before and after that moment. Each time you reach a new illustration it tells you to something extra important has or is about to occur, and you remember that. It's kind of an alleviating perspective - or a way of reducing the intimidating size of a book. Instead of gaping at hundreds of remaining pages you can remind yourself that you only have ten more illustrations to reach. And further, if you can remember the illustrations you can tell yourself you have a good grasp of the text surrounding that image; even if you were lazily skimming the words. Illustrations give the bored reader hope. There should be more drawings in every work of prose, even abstract academic journals. Then they'd be more entertaining, especially if you don't have the energy to read them . Well, that's my theory.
Below is another quote images from the blog accessible by the link at the top of this post, where there are more of these:


1 comment:

  1. I stumbled across these pictures the other day and absolutely loved them! I love the minimalist feel some of them have. I agree with you, too. Illustrations in books could be seen as childish, but when they're done well, they can really add a lot. That being said, I have read some books before with horribly distracting illustrations. I think it really depends on the book and/or the artist.

    ReplyDelete