Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Rocks And The Rivers

When was the last time you thought of the rocks and the rivers? 


This blog is about art.  There are thousands of divisions and sub divisions within the term, all that should be treated with at least some semblance of respect.
  
One concept that I had never really considered until today was art within the natural landscape.  Thanks to StumbleUpon and Science Dump I took on a whole new perspective.  Now don't get me wrong, I have always thought of Earth as beautiful, but never as an entity of art itself.  
I mean there is no denying that the Earth is extraordinary (not since "Planet Earth" at least).  But now, try looking at it as a work of art. 

 I cannot help but focus specifically on the rocks and the rivers.  From the shifting plates that crash into one another and force towering mountains skywards to the small streams that over thousands of years carve away at the rock to produce vast canyons extending beyond where the eye can see.

I went digging on the glorious National Geographic photography page for a few examples I thought best illustrate my argument.
 Have a look and let me know what you think!


Photo: Tannin-darkened waters of Rio Negro flowing across the sand on the coast of Brazil
Rio Negro, Brazil

Photo: Aerial view of the Uyuni salt flats
Uyuni Salt Flats, Bolivia

Photo: Aerial of eroded landscape

Eroded Landscape, Madagascar

Photo: Rocks and butte formation
Arizona Butte

Photo: A vividly colored hot spring in Africa’s Afar Depression
Hot Springs, East Africa

Picture of a volcanic ridge in Iceland
Landmannalaugar, Iceland

Photo: A farmer walking along rice terraces in China
Rice Terraces, China

Nature itself can be the greatest artist.



No comments:

Post a Comment