Monday, December 3, 2012

Skiing as an Art Form

Last semester, my English teacher posed a question to the class, "what is art?" I sat back in my chair and reflected upon the question for a moment. At first I began to think of paintings or sculptures on display inside of an art gallery and I imagined that this is what most people thought of when they  consider the topic of art.

However, art can be found in many places depending on the person you ask.  I believe we can all agree that art is something that, through creativity, is intended to be pleasing in some way, whether it be visual or through one of the other senses. Following my presentation on skiing last week, I think you might find it easy to believe that I think skiing is a form of art.  Skiing is a form of creative expression that requires the use of skill and individual action. When skiing gets to a certain level of skill, each skier becomes their own artist out on the mountain. They have the ability to use their skill to make something that is physically and emotionally enjoyable to them and at the same time, visually appealing to others.

Filmer's these days do a great job capturing the essence of skiing through their video's and I think episode 4 of The Wonder Reels is another great example. As the song in the video says, "everything lies within the eyes of you". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion, skiing is a beautiful art form.

No comments:

Post a Comment